Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SEMF: BONJAY

(Alanna Stuart of Bonjay, photo credit: Harlee Ria DeMeerleer)

I have paid as much as hundreds of dollars to see a show, but never before have I paid $5 and had one of the most epic concert experiences of my life. I'm talking about Bonjay, the Canadian music duo consisting of Alanna Stuart and Pho Swain, who brought their Toronto cool to the States, and to Sacramento for the very first time for the Sacramento Electronic Music Festival. Let me tell you, it was definitely worth the flight.

Pretty Blue Presents turned me onto this band one day when he asked me to check them out and if he should book them for a show in San Francisco (he did), and I was immediately a fan. Some of the people in the audience might not have heard of Bonjay before, but all of that changed Saturday night, they surely do now. By the end of the set, the crowd was screaming their name and singing their praises, so much that lead singer, Alanna Stuart's ears were ringing like never before.

(Pho Swain of Bonjay, photo credit: Harlee Ria DeMeerleer)

They started off the set strong with "Stumble," probably my favorite song by them, and one of the most popular, and from then on it was nothing but musical bliss. Stuart has great stage presence. Her style and grace, her soulful vocals, and Swain's fancy finger work make Bonjay a great act to see. For a up and coming band, she's got the chops to be on Santigold status, and the entire crowd knew it.

(photo credit: Harlee Ria DeMeerleer)

There was such energy in room. Even when they tried to slow down the momentum with a slow tempo song, the results were kinetic. "I don't know how you guys do it in Sacramento, but back at home in Toronto, we like to get down," reggae dance hall style, Stuart said, and boy did she break it down. She got low, down to her knees, her voice booming; the audience ate it up.

(photo credit: Harlee Ria DeMeerleer)
Ironically their last song was "Gimme Gimme," when all we wanted was for them to give us more. This will not be the last from Bonjay, they are making their rounds, in Chicago one day, and San Francisco another. "Sacramento, we love you!" Stuart told the crowd. And we love you too Bonjay.

If you have the opportunity to see them perform don't miss it, you won't be disappointed. My ears recognize a good thing when I hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment